At the Armavir experimental station of V. S. Pustovoit All-Russian Research Institute of Oil Crops, research work began in the spring of 1929 on the initiative of Vasily Stepanovich Pustovoit.
The specialists’ tasks include fundamental, exploratory, and applied scientific research, experimental and development work, and the introduction of scientific achievements and best practices aimed at obtaining new knowledge in the sphere of the agro-industrial complex, contributing to its technical, technological, economic, and social development.
The Armavir experimental station produces and sells sunflower and soybean seeds, market products of crops, as well as processed products and industrial waste.
The main directions of breeding and scientific work
- Development of new breeding methods and development on their basis of highly productive, competitive, and resistant to the main pathogens and abiotic stressors of hybrids and varieties of oil crops adapted to different soil and climatic zones of the Russian Federation.
- Development and implementation of high-precision, ecologically acceptable, economically efficient, resource-saving technologies of primary and industrial seed production, technologies of market production of oil crops.
- Development of highly precise, ecologically acceptable, economically efficient, resource-saving technologies for primary and industrial seed production, technologies for marketable production of oil and essential-oil crops for different soil and climatic zones of the Russian Federation.
- Development and implementation of mechanization means for cultivation, harvesting, and postharvest treatment of seeds of oil and essential-oil crops.
- Scientific support for the production of original, elite, and reproduction seeds of oil crops, for the production of genetically pure seeds of sunflower lines and hybrids.
Diplomas and awards
Director Zaitsev Nikolay Ivanovich Doctor of agriculture
At the Armavir experimental station of V. S. Pustovoit All-Russian Research Institute of Oil Crops, research work began in the spring of 1929 on the initiative of Vasily Stepanovich Pustovoit. The history of sunflower breeding at the Armavir experimental station is closely linked with the name of Vasily Ivanovich Scherbina, a talented plant breeder.
Already in 1933, the first sunflower varieties were introduced into production. The variety Armavirsky-1646, sent in 1937 for the State variety trial, was cultivated until the early 1980s, and the variety Armavirsky-3497, developed from Armavirsky-1646 in 1953, was produced until 1995. This variety occupied the maximum crop acreage in the country, exceeding 1 million hectares per year.
Currently, the team is successfully engaged in population breeding and seed production of varieties Foton, Pilot, and Kalibr, as well as heterosis sunflower breeding and seed production of hybrids Natalie, Iren, Arneb, Aris, Arlin, Amelie, Aurus, which are in constant demand among agricultural producers. In addition, the station is successfully engaged in soybean breeding and seed production of Duar, Duniza, Vestochka, Zara, Kora, and Parus varieties, which compete well with seeds of foreign suppliers in the Southern Federal District.
The branch also develops elements of cultivation technology for soybean and winter rapeseed.
The address: the Central farm of V.S. Pustovoit All-Russian Research Institute of Oil Crops experimental station, Armavir, 646025, Krasnodar region, Russia
Full name: Federal State Budgetary Scientific Institution “Armavir experimental station of V.S. Pustovoit All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Oil Crops”
Short name: AES – a branch of V.S. Pustovoit All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Oil Crops